Prestige, Innovation, Excellence

Prestige

Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi is the oldest higher education institution in Romania. Since 1860, the university has been carrying on a tradition of excellence and innovation in the fields of education and research. With over 26.000 students and 800 academic staff, the university enjoys high prestige at national and international level and cooperates with over 250 universities world-wide. Alexandru Ioan Cuza University is a member of some of the most important university networks and associations: the Coimbra Group, EUA - European University Association, Utrecht Network, International Association of Universities, University Agency of Francophony and the Network of Francophone Universities (RUFAC). These partnerships offer us the opportunity to experience changes, to have student and teacher mobilities and joint academic, research and strategy programmes.

Innovation

Alexandru Ioan Cuza University became the first student-centered university in Romania, once the Bologna Process was implemented. We believe in the power of individual choice and customized education. Thus, we became the first Romanian university to offer students the opportunity to choose both a major and a minor field of study, in a combination at their choice, that best suits their career goals.

Excellence

Research at our university is top level. In 2008, for the third year in a row, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University was placed first in the national research ranking compiled on the basis of Shanghai criteria. Our teachers are involved in over 400 national and international research projects, with the logistic support of 24 research centres. Striving for excellence, the university takes unique initiatives to stimulate research quality, to encourage dynamic and creative education and to involve its best students in academic life.


Presentation-Brochure



University facts and figures

Academic year 2013-2014

Total number of students: 25 724

Bachelor studies (full time and distance learning): 18 594
Master studies (full time and distance learning): 6 360
Doctoral studies (full time and distance learning): 770

Total number of students, distributed on faculties:

Biology: 899
Chemistry: 470
Law: 2 205
Economy and Business Administration: 7 871
Sports: 731
Philosophy: 2 339
Physics: 514
Geography and Geology: 1 788
Computer Science: 1 513
History: 718
Letters: 2 142
Mathematics: 425
Psychology and Education Sciences: 2 570
Orthodox Theology: 1 217
Roman-Catholic Theology: 141
Center for European Studies: 181

Teaching staff: 780, out of which 168 university professors

Bilateral agreements: 518
Foreign Erasmus Students: 127
Romanian Erasmus students: 265
Romanian Erasmus trainees: 216
Romanian teaching staff: 106
Romanian staff trainees: 38

Research projects

National projects: 416
International projects: 26

Student hostels: 14



Back to the top


Timeline

1642
Academia Domnească de la Iaşi (The Princely Academy from Iaşi) was founded by the Moldavian prince Vasile Lupu. As a consequence of the social, economic, administrative and cultural revival of the Romanian Principalities in the 17th and 18th centuries, new academic skills were needed and thus education became considered “the most valuable and ethical of all the riches in the world". Many colleges were founded in this period in order to provide society with educated people.

1714
Prince Nicolae Mavrocordat, with the support of the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Hrisant Notara, reorganized The Princely Academy. It reached the standards of the other European Academies of the time. Romanian language gained importance over Greek.

1812
The Princely Academy from Iaşi was renamed, becoming The Academy of Filology and Science.

1835
The foundation of Academia Mihăileană (Mihail`s Academy) is considered a landmark in the history of Romanian higher education. It was created under the auspices of Prince Mihail Sturdza (hence its name), striving for progress and for “meeting the standards of the enlightened Europe”. Three faculties were established: the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Philosophy and the Faculty of Theology. The curriculum was to a great extent similar to that of Austrian and German academies.

1859
Unification of the Romanian Principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia under Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza

1860 (26th October)
The inauguration of Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi, the first Romanian university, represented the foundation stone of modern higher education in Romania.

1864 (5th December)
Under the Law of Education promulgated by Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza the university was reorganized into four faculties: the Faculty of Philosophy and Letters, the Faculty of Sciences, the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Medicine (nowadays Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy).

1897 (October)
Inauguration of the New University Palace in Copou, Iaşi - the current location of Alexandru Ioan Cuza University. It was designed by arhitect Louis Blanc and built between 1893 and 1897, being a combination of classic and baroque. King Carol I and his wife Elisabeta attended the inauguration ceremony.

1918
Accomplishment of Romanian National Unification

1937
The Faculty of Sciences became the Polytechnic School of Iaşi (nowadays, the Technical University of Iaşi)

1948
The communist ideological reform of education. The new political regime in Romania, by its dogmatism and repression of initiative, brought sorrowful changes. Thus higher education was isolated and its traditional relations with important European university became hard to maintain.

1968
Eight faculties: Mathematics - Mechanics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology - Geography, Law, Philology, History - Philosophy, Economics

1989
The Romanian Revolution brought autonomy, decentralization and freedom of decision for the University. Romanian higher education was finally open to new perspectives. Alexandru Ioan Cuza University seized the opportunity to become again a European university. Rectors Gheorghe Popa and Dumitru Oprea initiated a complete reorganization at all levels: structure, curriculum, communication system and human resources. A new management policy and new regulations were implemented, observing the Romanian Constitution - the 1994 Law on Education, in order to attain University autonomy.

2005
The Bologna system was implemented in all faculties. We can state that reform in Alexandru Ioan Cuza University was achieved and that hard work and the strive for reaching the best European standards of education paid off. However it would take some more time to reach all the initial bold goals of the University.

From 2005 onwards
Alexandru Ioan Cuza University is:

  • a public state institution, the oldest modern classical multi-disciplinary university in Romania, widely recognized at both national and international level;
  • a member of the Universitaria Consortium (the group of elite Romanian universities)
  • first in the national research ranking based on Shanghai criteria (in 2005, 2006 and 2007)
  • the first student-centred university in Romania:
    • The ECTS system has been implemented for 9 years
    • The 3-cycle system has been implemented at all levels beginning with the academic year 2005-2006
    • The Diploma Supplement is available for all study cycles
    • There are courses taught in foreign languages

2006
The Romanian Ministry of Education and Research granted Alexandru Ioan Cuza University the Award for the scientific papers published in international publications.

2010
Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi celebrates 150 years since it was founded.

Back to the top


Short history

We take pride in being the first modern university of Romania, inheriting values, reputation and educational knowledge. Established in October 1860, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi is the oldest university in our country. Its history follows the patterns of the Romanian nation. The University of Iaşi, as it was named at first, was founded in 1860, only one year after the establishment of the Romanian state, and it was both a result and a catalyst of the rise of the Romanian national spirit. It was no historical coincidence that the city of Iaşi became the host of the highest institution in Romanian education: for ages, Iaşi had represented a privileged cultural area, preserving both the native and the European cultural spirit in a conquered territory. In the 17th century, the academy in Iaşi was already synchronized with the European spirit and model. Courses were taught in Greek, the language of culture in the European Orient.

The 19th century witnessed the rise of the nationalist spirit, of Romanian language, culture and conscience. The solemn inauguration of the University of Iaşi, on 26th October 1860, was to hallmark its long evolution, representing the first great step in the transition from medieval high school to modern higher education.

With only three faculties in the beginning - Law, Philosophy and Theology, the university gradually became a truly European academic centre. The mobility of the teaching staff, students, books and ideas placed the University of Iaşi on a professional and scientific level that was widely recognized.

After World War II, the structural changes in the political regime in Romania determined deep transformations in higher education, as well. It also imposed a new ideological horizon, a dominant immobility and dogmatism that obstructed initiatives. Higher education was isolated while the traditional relationships established with the great Western schools and trends became very difficult to maintain. In our university, the structure of faculties changed several times after 1948. The eight faculties (Mathematics - Mechanics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology - Geography, Law, Philology, History - Philosophy and Economics) ensured the training of specialists in fundamental education and research fields. It is important to underline that the things imposed in terms of dogmatism and ideology had only a formal official value, most of the academic staff preserving their dignity and academic status. Concessions were formal, not basic. It was a price that had to be paid for saving both the academia and the academics.

The fall of the totalitarian regime in December 1989 opened new perspectives for Romanian education. The reconstruction activity was spontaneous and radical, involving all fields: structure, curriculum, communication system, human resources. University autonomy, decentralization and freedom of decision led Romanian higher education towards new horizons. While still being in a difficult financial situation, it gradually regained its place in the European community.

Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi has the revelation of freedom of thought and action. We feel it in the quality of education and research, in the determination to achieve a work of excellence.


Here you can see images from the emblematic places of the university


Version 57.1 last modified by Alexandru Grigoras on 22/11/2013 at 14:40

About the University | Last Update: 2013/11/22 14:40
About this site — © 2006–2019 UAIC